Thursday 4 February 2016

Tips & Tricks for Dry Skin



Hi everyone!

Some of you may already know that I suffer from really bad dry skin spells. Sometimes my skin will be perfectly fine and others it will be terribly dry! I've recently bought some face products from the body shop that are meant to be great for dry skin so I'm going to test them out and share them in a haul/review type post next week. In the meantime, I thought I'd share with you some of my tips and tricks that have really helped me with my skin. 

1. Moisturize - This may seem fairly obvious, but moisturising once a day isn't going to be enough if you have dry skin. I've learnt that I need to moisturize at least twice a day (in the morning and at night), after I shower and preferably whenever I get chance throughout the day. It's also important to remember NOT to stop doing this if your skin looks and feels better (I know I'm guilty of this!) because your skin is more likely to dry out again. 

2. Water - Drinking plenty of water throughout the day flushes toxins from your inside which helps to hydrate your skin. You should aim to drink the recommended 8 glasses a day, I know it's hard sometimes, I sometimes go through the whole day only having one drink. One way I've found to help me remember is to drink one glass when I first wake up, one glass with every meal and one glass before bed (and obviously in between when you're thirsty or remember) 

3. Vaseline - This has been amazing for me! Every night before bed I apply Vaseline onto my dry areas and leave it while I sleep. It helps lock in moisture overnight and your skin should feel less dry in the morning. 

4. Avoid Harsh Scrubs & Washes - I've used plenty of face washes that make my skin feel tight and dry after washing, and this means the face wash isn't right for you. A lot of face washes are targeted to help remove oils and prevent breakouts. I've found that using a gentle, cream face wash works a lot better than the gel types. Try looking for moisturizing washes and cream cleansers and use a baby's wash cloth instead of a towel. (It's softer and less harsh on the skin)

5. Milk - As strange as it sounds, washing your face with milk helps to hydrate skin and reduce blemishes! I pour a small about of milk into a mug, and massage it into my face using a baby's wash cloth. I do this a few times a week and it really has helped me. 

6. Vitamins - Eating plenty of vitamin rich foods ensures that the skin is getting the right nutrients! I've been trying to eat at least 3 portions of fruit and veg a day to help keep my skin hydrated. You can also take vitamin tablets to help, I know they sell some specifically for skin/hair.

Do you have any more tips for dry skin? Let me know in the comments below!

Lots of love,






8 comments:

  1. Great tips, water is so important! Will have to try out the milk tip :) xx
    www.chasingbelle23.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I didn't realise how much of a difference it would make until I started drinking more! Xx

      Delete
  2. I have awful dry skin, and I really need to try and drink more water as it's amazing for the skin! xx

    Gemma ♥ Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holllaaa fellow dry skin gal over here! Great tips, drinking more water definitely helped me a lot. But what really boosted my skin was using oil 2/3 times a week! Coconut or jojoba has worked wonders!

    Sinéad ♥ fabuleuse, toujours ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to try that! I've always been unsure what oils to use but I'll give it a go xx

      Delete
  4. Great post! I have extremely dry skin, so I know your pain. To expand on your fourth point, I have found that face washes that foam up tend to be quite harsh and drying - something that people should watch out for.

    One of my first blog posts was a my skincare routine: http://mxdemagazine.tumblr.com/post/128247546657/after-five-years-i-can-say-that-i-have-finally
    This has helped me a lot for my dry skin AND acne (a combo not many people realise exists!).

    ReplyDelete